Back to Back Issues Page
Update: Long-Term Investigation with Pumpkins
October 15, 2010

Long Term Investigation Update

So... it's been about 2 weeks since we started the pumpkin experiment and I wanted to update everyone on the progress and some modifications I've made.

Just as a refresher: I picked up two pumpkins, two clear containers and some duct tape at the home improvement store.

We left one pumpkin intact.

We cut the top off of the other one and cut a triangle out (like a Jack-o-lantern… except I don’t know how to do it, so we got 1 triangle).

We put both into their own containers and taped the dickens out of the lid to contain the potential stink.

I've now also double wrapped them in large shrink wrap bags to make sure nothing gets out!

Well, to say we are excited about the results would be an understatement.

The uncut pumpkin looks the same.

Totally the same except for a little condensation on the container.

The cut pumpkin is a whole different story.

At first we noticed some condensation.

But then - overnight - about an inch of liquid appeared at the bottom of the container.

Now after two weeks there is about 3 inches of liquid, weird foam, and the flesh of the pumpkin is just a pool of mush.

We have been recording our progress in our “Pumpkin Long Term Investigation” booklet.

I've also been told that a glass jar works well for this project, too.

I hope you enjoy!

Check out my podcasts on my podcast blog. They are fun and helpful!

I hope that you have enjoyed this newsletter. Please feel free to email it to friends and family who are teachers or homeschool moms!

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

See you next month!

Back to Back Issues Page